5.23.2006

here goes nothin'

this post exists for no reason apart from it being a purely cathartic exercise. last night, lauren needed to stay at work late and finish a project, so i went up to his office to keep him company. we were there for approximately six hours. during that time, i completed and submitted a graduate school application. i never could have anticipated how nervous i would feel as i clicked the final submit button. for at least a month, my future is in the hands of people i have never met or even seen before. yikes. applying to school is a bit nerve-racking, when you haven't done it in a while. it reminds me of kayaking. each time i slide into a kayak, clamp my spray skirt around the lip of the boat, and push off the shore into the water, i wonder if i still know how to do an eskimo roll. i have done about two thousand eskimo rolls in my life. seriously. thousands. i used to be a kayak instructor, i have demonstrated the eskimo roll more than enough times to know that i can in fact successfully manuever my way back to safety in the event that my boat capsize.

i have been a student for the better portion of the last 20 years of my life. and yet, this limbo period between submitting an application and receiving a letter from an admissions office seems to keep me in a slight state of panic. what if i don't get in? what if UT-D doesn't think i am good enough to take three classes before continuing on to a masters' degree? these nervous thoughts should not dominate my every waking moment, and yet, there are butterflies in my stomach. i think i have just gotten to used to the idea of instant gratification. i have become impatient. i do not want to wait. i want to know right now, UT-D: are you going to let me into your school? or have i toiled for naught? i think if i was indifferent toward becoming a PA, i would not care at all what UT-D had to say about things. i would shrug off an acceptance letter, as though they were handed out like tracts at a screening of The DaVinci Code. just as likely, i would receive a rejection as a sign of what was simply not meant to be. but this is not the case. i want desperately, from the core of my being, to become a physician assistant. it is the perfect career for me. too bad the program is so damned competitive. everyone keeps telling me there is no way i won't be accepted to pa school. my response to such encouragement is merely more inner turmoil. what am i going to do if i don't even get accepted to UT-D? or if i go to UT-D (therefore forefeiting my very high-paying job, and health benefits) and don't get into pa school, what in the world do i do then?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Ahhh Lindi. Waiting. Yes I hate that as well. I really want to tell you trust the Lord in all this, but honestly, I am not doing such a great job with that myself with this whole "Dallas move" so I feel a little hypocritical saying that, when I am having a hard time walking it out myself. :) I DO trust Him, but not 100%. I will say this, be honest with your frustrations and fears with the Lord. He can handle it and I think He delights when we come to Him FIRST with our frustrations, fears, questions instead of trying to figure it out on our own. (I've tried figuring it out on my own and all it leaves me is frustrated, overwhelmed and more questions then answers). I am currently learning to rest in Him. Key word being “learning” :)

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home