12.27.2005

Neonatology

I want to become a doctor. I am afraid of applying. I had a bad experience once; let me explain. During my "bonus" year of college, I participated in the Pre-Health Advisory Program Pre-Interview Process, which is nothing more than a long name for "mock medical school admissions" program. The process consisted of filling out the mother-of-all applications- an almost exact copy of the AAMC application- and participation in an interview with the Pre-Health Advisory Board, headed by Dr. Pamela Hathorn (who HATES me).

The application...
The packet itself took me almost two weeks to finish, then I had to write the essay. I have never had writer's block so bad in my entire life as I did when I sat down to write my medical school admissions essay. I wrote one, finally. It was crap.

The interview...
Let's just say it felt like being bound to the Great Stone Table and having the Jadis herself stab me in the heart with a crooked dagger, all while having to answer such ridiculous questions as "What would you tell an 80-year old patient who wanted to get pregnant?" And, "There is no possible way you can get into medical school; why are you even bothering to try?"

And so I died. Or at least, my strength and will and pursuit of my dream died. I have yet to be ressurected, but the beginning of a re-birth is stirring in my soul.

Emily is a wonderful nurse. A talented and compassionate Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU: pronounced nick-you) nurse. She helps struggling little babies survive their rocky starts, and comforts the ones who are bound to return to Jesus. She loves them all. What a truly beautiful endeavour, to provide life and love to those in need. To put it plainly, that is what I want - to feel worthwhile. To feel that what I do has a positive impact on some small part of the world, to some small percent of humanity. And so, a fire in my heart-of-hearts is rekindled. God-willing, the strength, passion and dedication necessary for action will follow suit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet Lindiloo- I'm glad that your fire is rekindling. The world needs compassionate doctors- and I know that you would make a great one.

Neonatal medicine is wonderful. And heartbreaking. And exhausting. And exhilarating, frustrating, motivating...and, at times, terrifying.

I'll be honest with you...there are days (like yesterday) when I walk out of the NICU (pronounced 'Nick-you' by most, but 'NIGH-que' by West Texans) and know that the ONLY thing I accomplished in 12 hours is keeping my patient alive. And, maybe that seems like enough-- but, trust me...it isn't. On those days I long to quit my job and work at Sonic.

But, then I witness a tiny baby thrive (against all the odds) and I remember what all the sweat and tears are for.

I've worked with some really great doctors, and I'll tell you that essays, interviews and test scores did not make them great. What makes them great is an unquenchable drive to better the lives of their patients.

You don't have to be a doctor to make a difference in this world, and you don't have to be a doctor to make life a little better for someone. But, if this is the road you want to take...go for it.

The medical profession could use someone like you-- someone with your gentle and kind heart.

9:25 am  
Blogger Jen said...

It was great to meet you this last weekend and hang out with you!

What a wonderful dream you have....I say pursue it. God will lead and direct you as you go along, but take that first step.

6:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

great new pic!

9:28 am  
Blogger lindi said...

jen- it was wonderful meeting you, too! have a nice week in indiana.

thank you for your help, emily.

thanks to lauren for fixing whatever i did...

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home